Tuesday again, and today a small experiment. This rant thread has a specific topic, identities. Yesterday I was editing a site. It was part of a project, for which I'd created a new user account. It was/is very important to me that this project show that identity, not mine. A week of work later, I uploaded a new file and then saw with horror that I'd been logged in as pieterh, instead of using the new account. Result: site FUBAR.
OK, I was able to recover the situation by renaming the site, cloning it, and then deleting the old site. Even that took me two attempts because I was still logged in as pieterh, the first time. Very luckily, the site does not have watchers, because otherwise they would all have received an email explaining, in black and white, who the real author of that site is.
We've discussed this before on the blog but I'd like more feedback on this.
- How many of you create multiple accounts, and why do you do it?
- Do you use multiple accounts to create multiple identities, for different projects?
- Would you like to be able to manage these with one email address, one password?
- Would you like them to be assigned to specific sites automatically?
- Does the lack of this functionality stop you using Wikidot professionally?
(If you really, really need to rant about something else, go for it.)