Attention: this post is highly technical, mostly suited for experienced Wikidot users.
Recently I have found a nice way of creating sites for someone else (for your family, for your students, for your clients) using Wikidot. I'll explain how to do that but first, let's see what I've tried to achieve:
- I need to build a website that user can edit in a friendly way, but can't break easily
- this requires separation of permissions
- creator — creates the website, graphic design, structures, prepares everything for the user
- user — can edit content — add news, edit texts, upload photos and (optionally) delete comments
- visitor — can view pages and (optionally) post comments
- no experience with Wikidot or wiki syntax should be required for site user
- nice URLs like http://your-domain/news, http://your-domain/gallery, …
This is more or less what CMSes1 do, but now done entirely with Wikidot.